*Registrations for the KC Masterpiece Invitational Contest and Table Captains are full. We encourage you to register for the Oklahoma Joe's Open Meats, Open Sides & Desserts, Sauce Contest, and/or Kid's Que.*
Would you like to try the BEST Barbecue in the World? We are looking for judges and table captains for the Oklahoma Joe's Open Contest, KC Masterpiece Invitational Contest, Kid's Que, and Sauce Contests at the American Royal World Series of Barbecue®!
Please understand the American Royal BBQ Contest is a competition, not a sampling event. Due to food safety regulations, sampling of contest foods is prohibited. Entry to the American Royal World Series of Barbecue® includes the opportunity to witness more than 500 teams competing in the largest BBQ event in the world, a Food Court with many options available for purchase, Live Entertainment, entrance in the Marketplace/Expo, Kids Korral (Saturday 10am-3pm), Cooking Demonstrations, Barbecue Hall of Fame Ceremony (Saturday, 7pm) and more. Sampling of contest foods is not-included in event entry.
Saturday, September 28, 2013
26th Annual Barbecue Sauce Contest
Saturday, October 5, 2013
26th Annual KC Masterpiece Invitational Meat Contest
Oklahoma Joe's Open Sides Contest
7th Annual Jr. World Series of Barbecue (Kid’s Que)
Sunday, October 6, 2013
Oklahoma Joe's Open Meat Contest
PLEASE NOTE: ALL certified judging numbers will be verified with KCBS prior to the contest. If you are not current with KCBS, your application will not be accepted and you will have to fill out another application once your membership is paid. Please contact KCBS if you are unsure or you need to renew your membership.
By submitting an application, you are not guaranteed a judging spot. We will make every effort to fulfill your interests and confirm your judging assignment by July 1, 2013 (Invitational) / September 1, 2013 (all other contests).
Important Judging Information
- APPLICATION: In order to preserve the integrity of our contest we ask that every judge fill out an application to participate as an American Royal Judge. All applications are taken on a first come, first serve basis, with priority given to certified judges. Submitting an application to judge does not guarantee a spot. Invitational judges will receive a confirmation email no later than July 1, 2013 and judges for all other contests will receive a confirmation email no later than September 1, 2013. To learn more about becoming a certified judge, please visit www.kcbs.us or register for the Certified BBQ Judge Class that will be held at the American Royal Thursday, October 3, 2013.
- CERTIFIED KCBS JUDGES: All certified judges will have priority for a seat in our Invitational and Open contest. You are not required to pay a fee to judge. The American Royal is a non-profit, and donations are requested, but not required.
- NON-CERTIFIED JUDGES: Due to the size of our competition and our needs for judges, we will accept judges that are not certified under KCBS. A $15 donation is recommended for each non-certified judge. Please click the 'Donate Now' link on the judging application.
- TABLE CAPTAINS: We have 6 judges per table and each table needs an assigned Table Captain. If you would like to help out by participating as a Table Captain, please fill our Table Captain application. All Table Captains must be experienced to ensure that their tables are run in accordance with KCBS regulations.
- ACCEPTANCE: By submitting an application, you are not guaranteed a judging spot. Approximately 700 judges will be needed for all of our contests. We will make every effort to fulfill your interests and confirm your judging assignments as soon as possible. If your application is accepted, you will be notified via email by September 15, 2013 with the details regarding parking, arrival time and any other necessary information.
- CHECK-IN PROCEDURE: If you are confirmed as a judge, please be at check-in at the registration time listed. Please allow for time to park and arrive at the judging area. Due to the large facility and amount of people arriving at this time, delays are possible. If any seats need to be filled, the American Royal has the right to fill any empty spots by any means necessary. If you arrive late, your judging space may be forfeited. An informational email will be sent to all confirmed judges by September 15, 2013 with details regarding parking, arrival time and other necessary information.
- CANCELLATION: If you are confirmed as a judge and need to cancel, please email us at BBQ@AmericanRoyal.com.
- DONATIONS: All donations are non-refundable.
- AGE REQUIREMENTS: In compliance with KCBS rules, all judges must be at least 16 years of age.
- JUDGING PROCEDURES: Our contest is sanctioned by KCBS and each judge is expected to follow the judging procedures outlined by KCBS. Please review the judging rules and regulations below:
KCBS sanctioning allows for blind judging only. Entries will be submitted in an approved KCBS numbered container provided by the contest organizer. The container may be re-numbered by the KCBS Contest Rep or authorized personnel before being presented to the judges.
- Judges may not fraternize with teams on turn-in day until conclusion of judging.
- Judging will be done by a team of 6 persons, who are at least 16 years of age. Only Judges, Contest Reps and necessary support staff are allowed in judging area during the judging process. No other activities are permitted in the judging area, during judging process.
- Each judge will first score all the samples for appearance of the meat. The turn-in containers will then be passed around the table and each judge will place a sample from each of the containers in the appropriate box on the judging plate. Judges shall not lick their fingers while taking these samples; paper towels, non-scented wipes, or damp wash cloths are preferred. The judge will then score each entry for taste and tenderness, before moving on to the next entry.
- The scoring system is from 9 to 2, all whole numbers between two and nine may be used to score an entry. 9 excellent, 8 very good, 7 above average, 6 average, 5 below average, 4 poor, 3 bad, and 2 inedible.
- A score of one (1) is a disqualification and requires approval by a Contest Rep. Grounds for disqualification: All judges will give a one (1) in Appearance for unapproved garnish, pooled sauce or less than 6 samples of meat. All judges will give a one (1) in all criteria for sculptured meat, a marked turn-in container, foreign object in the container, incorrect meat. All judges not receiving a sample will give a one (1) in all criteria.
- The weighting factors for the point system are as follows: Appearance - 0.5600, Taste - 2.2972, Tenderness - 1.1428.
- The low score will be thrown out. Results will be tallied. If there is a tie in one of the categories, it will be broken by the computer, as follows: The scores will be compared (counting all five judges) for the highest cumulative scores in taste, then tenderness, then appearance. If still tied, then the low score, which was thrown out, will be compared and the higher of the low scores will break the tie. If still tied, then a computer generated coin toss will be used. In the event of lost, destroyed, or missing score cards the remaining score cards will be averaged in each category and those averages shall be used as the missing scores on replacement score cards. After there are six total score cards the normal procedure will be followed for dropping the low score. These correct scores will be the official scores for any and all KCBS purposes.
- Total points per entry will determine the champion within each meat category.
- Cumulative points for only the four (4) KCBS categories will determine the Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion except the Dodge City, KS contest, or at the election of this organizer.
Certified Barbecue Judging Class
Thursday, October 3, 2013
If you would like to become a KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge in 2013, this is your opportunity! The American Royal is hosting a KCBS class on Thursday, October 3, 2013 in the Governor's/Ambassador's Room on the 2nd floor of the American Royal offices. The class will begin at 10:00 a.m. and last until 2:00 p.m. This class has a limited amount of openings and registration is on a first come, first serve basis.